Submitted by FedEx Corporation
At FedEx, we are strongly committed to protecting the communities in which we live and work. As a proud founding member of the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program (ADGP)/Disaster Responder Program, FedEx makes an annual contribution to the Red Cross to support disaster relief and emergency preparedness efforts year-round.
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, and early forecasts are predicting another above-average year of storm activity. National Hurricane Preparedness Week is May 1–May 7, 2022. Last year, the U.S. saw 21 named storms (and it was the seventh consecutive year in a row a named storm formed before June 1), so Hurricane Preparedness Week is the perfect time to get ready ahead of any severe weather.
From our friends at the Red Cross, here are five steps you can take to get your household ready now to help protect you and your loved ones:
* Create an evacuation plan. Plan what to do in case you are separated from your family during an emergency and if you have to evacuate. Plan routes to local shelters, register family members with special medical needs as needed and make plans for pets.
* Build an emergency kit. Include a gallon of water per person, per day, non-perishable food, a flashlight, battery-powered radio, first aid kit, medications, supplies for an infant or pets if applicable, a multi-purpose tool, personal hygiene items, copies of important papers, cell phone chargers, extra cash, blankets, maps of the area and emergency contact information. Because of the pandemic, include a face mask for everyone in your household. If you already have an emergency kit, now is the time make sure the food and water is still okay to consume and that copies of important documents are up to date.
* Be informed. Find out how local officials will contact you during a disaster and how you will get important information. Learn first aid and CPR in case emergency help is delayed.
* Download the free Red Cross “Emergency” app. Put preparedness in your pocket and help keep you and your loved ones safe with real-time alerts, open Red Cross shelter locations and safety advice on hurricanes and other emergencies. Download this or other apps for free by searching for ‘American Red Cross’ in your app store or visiting redcross.org/apps.
* Standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding. It’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S. For more information on flood insurance, you can visit the National Flood Insurance Program website at www.FloodSmart.gov.
For more information about how you can prepare for hurricanes, visit redcross.org/hurricane.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenue of $92 billion, the company offers integrated business solutions through operating companies competing collectively, operating collaboratively and innovating digitally under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its 600,000 team members to remain focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. FedEx is committed to connecting people and possibilities around the world responsibly and resourcefully, with a goal to achieve carbon-neutral operations by 2040. To learn more, please visit about.fedex.com.
More from FedEx Corporation