Submitted by: Nike Inc.
Categories: Philanthropy & Corporate Contributions
Posted: Mar 20, 2005 – 11:00 PM EST
Mar. 20 /CSRwire/ -
"NikeGO is about getting kids more physically active to help improve their lives and to reconnect with the joy and fun of physical activity," said Ed Stair, General Manager of Nike's U.S. Factory Stores. "We are proud to partner with local community organizations who are contributing to the health and well-being of kids."
The NikeGO Factory Store Grant Program awards organizations committed to helping get kids active through sports or recreational physical activities. Qualifying nonprofit organizations and their programs must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a grant: involve 8-15 year old children; increase youth physical activity; measure impact; and be fun, sustained programs created or requested by kids.Applications for the 2005 program were made available at Nike Factory Stores in select markets October 8 through December 3.
The following organizations were awarded 2005 NikeGO Factory Store Grants:
1. Boys & Girls Club of Tucson - Tucson, AZ
2. Sports Strategies - Tucson, AZ
3. Manatee Family YMCA - Bradenton, FL
4. Police Athletic League - Bradenton, FL
5. Boys & Girls Club of NW Georgia - Calhoun, GA
6. Calhoun Honor Guard & Drill Team - Calhoun, GA.
7. African-American Men of Unity - Aurora, IL
8. Girls in the Game - Chicago, IL
9. Clark County Middle School Golf Program - Las Vegas, NV
10. Cultural Shock (F.A.M.E.) - Las Vegas, NV
11. I Have a Dream Foundation - Las Vegas, NV
12. Honeycomb After School Program - Batavia, NY
13. Valley Central Youth Football - Maybrook, NY
14. YMCA of Central Ohio - Columbus, OH
15. Bend Little League South - Bend, OR
16. Bend Metro Park & Recreation Lacrosse - Bend, OR
17. Boys & Girls Club of Providence - Providence, RI
18. Cumberland High School - Cumberland, RI
19. The Mentorship Program - Williamsburg, VA
20. Williamsburg Soccer Club - Williamsburg, VA.
21. Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA - Yorktown, VA
NikeGO is Nike's signature U.S. community affairs initiative and the company's long-term commitment to getting kids more physically active. The program's mission is to increase physical activity in youths, offering them the support and motivation to become physically active, stay healthy and have fun. In its most recent fiscal year, Nike contributed more than $10.5 million in cash and products and served more than 150,000 kids through NikeGO programs and partnerships. Visit www.nikego.com for additional information.
NIKE, Inc. based in Beaverton, Oregon is the world's leading designer, marketer and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly owned Nike subsidiaries include Converse Inc., which designs, markets and distributes athletic footwear, apparel and accessories; Bauer NIKE Hockey Inc., a leading designer and distributor of hockey equipment; Cole Haan®, which designs, markets, and distributes fine dress and casual shoes and accessories; Hurley International LLC, which designs, markets and distributes action sports and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories; and Exeter Brands Group LLC, which designs and markets athletic footwear and apparel for the value retail channel. For a state-by-state listing of the 13 Niketown Retail Stores and 76 Nike Factory Stores, visit http://niketown.nike.com/locator.jhtml.
For more information, please contact: