Submitted by: International Finance Corporation
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 – 03:17 PM EST
Jan. 17 /CSRwire/ - WASHINGTON DC - January 17, 2008 - The Social Responsibility Team in the Sustainability Business Innovator (SBI) focuses on developing market based solutions that hold the promise of delivering social benefits for local communities, and that leverage the strengths of communities while strengthening private sector performance in emerging markets.
The Team seeks to add a Senior Projects Officer (SPO) to strengthen its work program in particular in areas involving community development and social entrepreneurship, developing business models that can help accelerate private sector engagement in local economic development in communities around investments. The Projects Officer will also contribute largely to developing knowledge products around community development services and activities.
The SPO will engage in the following areas:
New Product/Project Development
- Improve existing or develop new business models under the product line “Local Community Development”, with a specific focus on projects involving income generating activities for communities, stakeholder engagement, and participatory planning and monitoring.
- Engage with global partners and technical partners in the area of Community Development and CSR to expand knowledge and networking base with a view to maintain expertise and/or develop new products; liaise closely with the Social Responsibility team, IFC Advisory Services (AS) Regional Facilities and other IFC internal units (linkages/ComDev)
- Identify sources of funding (IFC and donor funds) for specific projects and for Community Development program area.
Portfolio Project Management / Reporting
- Manage and supervise part of the existing portfolio of the Social Responsibility program. The larger portfolio includes a wide range of projects in 1. Community Development; 2. labor standards in global supply chains, 3. Business and Human rights activities, and 4. a newly developed CSR strategy and reporting product. Products are developed and managed according to their “maturity” as an innovation, seeking to move them from research/proof of concept, through piloting and prototyping towards a stage at which mainstreaming across the corporation requires mostly monitoring and quality assurance.
- Review and produce, as needed, project supervision reports and project completion reports using the IFC Idesk system
- Contribute input to ad hoc management reports and briefs on area of expertise as well as to quarterly and annual donor reports.
Peer Reviewing and Quality Control
- Provide expert reviews and input in new projects developed by the IFC AS Regional Facilities and other units involved in Community Development (Linkages/ComDev) which are mapped under the Community Development product of Social Responsibility. Ensure that the project structure, the content of the advisory and hired expertise are in line with product quality and coherent with IFC’s Environmental and Social Performance Standards.
Knowledge Management and Dissemination
- Engage in active external and internal networking, and monitoring the state of the art in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility and community development activities specifically.
- Contribute to Social Responsibility’s goal of transforming existing products and activities in specific Knolwedge Products. The Community Development knowledge product may consist, among other things of the establishment of a network of internal and external expertise, product packaging and standardization, product communication and publications.
- Actively contribute to dissemination, in appropriate internal or external discussion forums, of lessons learned from projects with a view to achieve up-take, replication or mainstreaming, of the new products or models developed.
Social Responsibility, SBI and IFC Sustainability Strategy
- Contribute to the Social responsibility practice area strategy, yearly program planning and monitoring tasks, and overall growth and reputation.
- Masters Degree in Social Sciences (social and cultural/applied anthropology or sociology) with a focus on international development. Business Management degree and/or knowledge of business management would be a great plus.
- 8 or more years of relevant operational experience and proven performance in Local Economic Development, social entrepreneurship, Stakeholder Engagement and Community Development, with a specific focus on extractives and agribusiness sectors.
- Good knowledge of social entrepreneurship and ability to identify and develop market based solutions to effect social transformation is an asset.
- Experience in the private sector in emerging markets, with strong knowledge management and product development skills, and a good general knowledge of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities and trends would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge and experience in working with local civil society organizations, local communities and developing and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogue.
- Operational experience and proven performance in project appraisal and management in developing countries, involving the private sector. Good knowledge of the use of quality assurance or verification/certification systems and performance standards related to sustainability
- Excellent communication skills, in both written and spoken English. Proficiency in another of the following languages: Portuguese, Spanish or French.
- Strong client and results orientation as proven by a track record of concrete achievements
This appointment is for an initial 2-year period. World Bank Group staff on regular or open-ended appointments will also be considered.
Candidates should submit their application (letter and resume) in English. No phone calls, paper mail or faxes please. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Only applicants invited for interviews will be contacted.
As the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) promotes sustainable private sector investment in developing countries as a way to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. The mission of IFC’s Environmental and Social Development Department (CES) is to be IFC’s center of excellence and innovation in sustainability, focusing on improving the business performance of IFC and its clients. Further information on CES is available at www.ifc.org/enviro.
The Sustainability Business Innovator (SBI), a donor-funded facility under CES, develops and tests business models that engage the private sector in the delivery of environmental and social benefits. It is organized in six teams, covering all areas in which such benefits may emerge, ranging from the use of natural habitats and biodiverse resources, through energy, technology and capital.
For more information, please contact:There is currently no contact information.
For more from this organization:International Finance Corporation