Submitted by: Shell Oil Company
Posted: Dec 26, 2002 – 11:00 PM EST
Dec. 26 /CSRwire/ -
Shell received the top KAB National Award to Business in the Beautification and Community Improvement category for its outstanding environmental programs that involve employees in the communities they serve.
“While Shell has dedicated significant resources toward enhancing the quality of life in American communities, its most critical contribution continues to be its coordinated volunteer effort involving employees and retirees throughout its organization,” said Ray Empson, KAB president. “Shell people, partnering with a variety of organizations, continue to demonstrate the unique qualities necessary to effecting positive change and keeping America beautiful.”
The award was received by Shell’s Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Roxanne Decyk, as part of the Annual KAB National Conference in Washington, DC. KAB recognized Shell Oil Company for its numerous practices in environmental community outreach. Some of the Shell practices highlighted include:
· Recruiting more than 500 employees and retirees to participate in company-sponsored volunteer programs;
· Encouraging these company employees and retirees who gave more than 30,000 hours of volunteer time;
· Preserving and protecting the environment through participation in a variety of neighborhood community beautification days, including seedling replants, trail clearing and transforming vacant lots;
· Refurbishing Texas homes damaged by floodwaters, and local cleanups to support Keep Texas Beautiful;
· Support of ongoing environmental education programs in schools and communities; and
· Financial support of local organizations in addition to Shell volunteer hands-on support.
The KAB awards – designated annually and based on detailed criteria – are judged by a panel of experts who include local community and business environmental leaders.
"We applaud Shell for its commitment and we thank Shell employees for their efforts and the impact they are making on our communities,” Empson said about the Business Award.
About Shell Oil Company:
Shell Oil Company is one of America’s leading oil and natural gas producers, natural gas marketers, gasoline marketers and petrochemical manufacturers. Shell Oil Company is an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies.
About Keep America Beautiful:
Keep America Beautiful, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization whose network of more than 500 local, statewide and international affiliate programs educates individuals about litter prevention and ways to reduce, reuse, recycle and properly manage waste materials. The organization will celebrate 50 years of service, education and community improvement in 2003. Through partnerships and strategic alliances with citizens, businesses and government, Keep America Beautiful programs motivate millions of volunteers annually to clean up, beautify and improve their neighborhoods, thereby creating healthier, safer and more livable community environments.
For more information, please contact: