Submitted by: GBCHealth
Categories: Human Resources & Diversity1
Posted: Feb 22, 2005 – 11:00 PM EST
Feb. 22 /CSRwire/ -
This is GBC's first formal effort to actively strengthen already established national coalitions on AIDS. The new program seeks to build on the work of the World Bank, the World Economic Forum (WEF) and UNAIDS, who have been assisting the establishment of National Business Coalitions on HIV/AIDS. GBC National Connections will especially support Coalitions that follow the "Guidelines for Building Business Coalitions on HIV/AIDS", jointly released by World Bank, WEF and UNAIDS in November of 2004.
National Coalitions that undergo an application process and meet a specific set of five criteria will be able to become official partners of GBC and part of GBC National Connections. Selected applicants may be eligible to receive support in ten key areas that include:
1. Financial assistance in the form of small amounts of seed funding or funding for specific projects
2. Technical support and resources from a team of international experts on issues HIV/AIDS that companies face
3. Assistance in accessing funding from international funding sources and other donors, including assistance in developing partnerships linking corporate infrastructure with government programs
4. A free website, linked to www.businessfightsaids.org the primary global resource for information on the corporate response to AIDS globally
5. Connection with GBC's network of almost 200 international member companies
6. Invitations to GBC events in every region of the world
7. Access to GBC "members-only" and partner-specific resources
8. Assistance with marketing and communications efforts
9. Assistance with public policy efforts
10. Profiling national efforts and linking with the global business response to HIV/AIDS
In order to become official partners of the GBC and part of GBC National Connections, national business coalitions should meet the following five key criteria, that are based on the "Guidelines for Building Business Coalitions on HIV/AIDS" (2004):
1. Be membership based with direct representation from companies of both multinational and national companies
2. Have a dedicated Secretariat, and be a legally registered entity in-country
3. Have a clear work-plan with measurable goals and a sustainable financing model (business plan)
4. Demonstrate accountability and transparency
5. Demonstrate commitment in the fight against HIV/AIDS
"There are many national business coalitions around the world who say they are focused on AIDS" said Trevor Neilson, Executive Director of the GBC. This new program is designed to support those who are focused on doing more than just talking about the problem. In using our global influence to support national efforts, we hope to act as a catalyst for increased action at the national level."
The first round of applications for GBC National Connections will be accepted by e-mail or fax from March 15th, 2005. Applications should be in the form of a letter that is no more than 5 pages in length and is signed by the key officers of the national business coalition. GBC encourages CV's and biographies of key officers to be attached, as well as supporting documents such as work-plans, membership lists, local partner lists and budgets.
For more information please visit www.businessfightsaids.org/GBC_National_Connections
About The Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS (GBC)
The Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS (GBC) is the pre-eminent organization leading the business fight against HIV/AIDS. The rapidly-expanding alliance of almost 200 international companies is dedicated to combating the AIDS epidemic through the business sector's unique skills and expertise. The mission of the GBC is to harness the power of the global business community to end the HIV/AIDS pandemic. For more information, please visit the GBC website at www.businessfightsaids.org, the leading global resource of company AIDS programs and hub of information relevant to business concerned about AIDS.
For more information, please contact:
For more from this organization:GBCHealth