Submitted by: Newmont Mining Corporation
Posted: Jul 31, 2017 – 11:00 AM EST
PARAMARIBO, Suriname, Jul. 31 /CSRwire/ - Newmont Suriname (Newmont or the Company) today announced that the Merian Expert Advisory Panel released its report assessing implementation of free, prior, and informed consent (FPIC) at the Company’s Merian operation. The assessment was the result of Newmont’s voluntary commitment to help improve global understanding and practical implementation of FPIC through the FPIC Solutions Dialogue by leveraging site-based experience from Merian. The principal objective of the Dialogue is to generate test cases, and develop guidance and tools to help operationalize FPIC around the globe.
“We value the opportunity to contribute to improving the practical implementation of FPIC through this process and look forward to continuing to play a role in supporting efforts to enhance the global application of FPIC in the future,” said Adriaan van Kersen, Managing Director of Newmont Suriname. “The Panel’s report provides additional insight, context and recommendations for building upon our efforts to constructively engage with local Pamaka communities to generate mutual value.”
In 2012, RESOLVE, Newmont, BG Group, Oxfam and other companies and civil society organizations established the FPIC Solutions Dialogue to learn from actual site-based experiences; work together on test cases; and develop guidance and tools to help operationalize free, prior, and informed consent (FPIC) in practice. With a focus on practical implementation, Newmont offered its experience at the Merian Mine in Suriname as an opportunity to gain new insights, identify lessons, and improve practices that could be shared with companies around the globe.
In 2016 Newmont commissioned RESOLVE – an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to multi-stakeholder consensus building and member of the FPIC Solutions Dialogue – to convene the Merian Expert Advisory Panel to provide guidance on how the Company could better align with FPIC principles in the future.
The panel’s report looks at Merian from the perspective of applying FPIC from the outset of project planning, prior to Newmont’s involvement with the site. Although planning and advancement of Merian pre-dated Newmont’s specific FPIC policy commitments, the Company will leverage lessons from the report to further align practices with FPIC. This includes building upon the Cooperation Agreement with the Pamaka community which provides for employment, training, contracts, capacity building and infrastructure.
In addition, the Community Development Fund (CDF) will channel revenues generated from Merian’s gold sales to the community, on the basis of priorities established by them, which can spur additional economic and social development.
“Newmont is continuing to engage with key government and community stakeholders to present the report and solicit feedback. In addition, lessons from the Panel’s report have been, and will continue to be, discussed with members of FPIC Solutions Dialogue,” said van Kersen.
The Merian gold mine is located approximately 60 km south of Moengo, Suriname and is predominantly in the Pamakan area about 15 km west of the Marowijne River. Newmont Suriname, LLC, (previously known as Suriname Gold Company, LLC) is a fully-owned subsidiary of Newmont Mining Corporation, which operates the mine on behalf of Suriname Gold Project CV, a Suriname limited partnership (the “CV”). Newmont Suriname is the managing partner, owning a 75 percent interest in the limited partnership, and Staatsolie Maatschappij Suriname N.V., Suriname’s State-owned oil company owns the remaining 25 percent interest. Construction of Merian commenced in August 2014, and commercial production was achieved on October 1, 2016. Merian’s focus is on delivering safe, efficient and responsible gold production while generating sustainable value and opportunity for employees, local communities, the local and national governments, and the CV’s owners.
Newmont is a leading gold and copper producer. The Company’s operations are primarily in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and was named the mining industry leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index in 2015 and 2016. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by its leading technical, environmental, social and safety performance. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
For more information, please contact:
For more from this organization:Newmont Mining Corporation