NEW YORK, May 05 /CSRwire/ - Colgate-Palmolive has released its 2013 Sustainability Report titled, Giving the World Reasons to Smile. This annual report details Colgate’s long-standing commitments, achievements and challenges to sustainability and social responsibility around the world. This year’s highlights include:
- Colgate improved the sustainability profile in over 48 percent of new products and the balance of its portfolio in 2013 (based on representative products evaluated against comparable Colgate products).
- Colgate’s flagship oral health education program, “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures,” has reached 750 million children in over 80 countries since 1991.
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition donated pet food worth a retail value of more than $7.5 million to pet shelters in the United States in 2013, to date helping more than 7 million dogs and cats find their forever home.
- Colgate reduced both energy use and carbon emissions per ton of production by over 16 percent compared to 2005 and was named a U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the fourth year in a row, with recognition for Sustained Excellence.
- Through Colgate’s partnership with Water For People, over 10,000 people in India and Guatemala now have access to clean water and sanitation systems. Colgate in turn delivered our “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures” and handwashing education programs in some of the schools that received clean water.
- Colgate was also selected for CDP’s Climate Disclosure Leadership Indices, ranked as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute and was again named to the Dow Jones World and North America Sustainability Leadership Indices.
Colgate’s recent commitments are also highlighted in the report:
- Colgate announced a new commitment to reduce carbon emissions on an absolute basis by 25 percent compared to 2002, with a longer-term goal of a 50 percent reduction by 2050.
- Colgate committed to mobilize resources to help achieve no deforestation in its supply chain by 2020, as detailed in a new Policy on No Deforestation.
- The Company committed to improving the sustainability profile of its packaging – to increase the recycled content to 50 percent by 2020 and improve packaging recyclability.
- As recently published in a new Policy on Ingredient Safety, Colgate has made commitments to eliminate formaldehyde donors, parabens, and microplastics from products over the next two years.
To access the full report and related video stories, please visit Colgate’s Sustainability website, at www.colgatepalmolive.com/sustainability.
About Colgate-Palmolive Company
Colgate-Palmolive is a leading global consumer products company, tightly focused on Oral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutrition. Colgate sells its products in over 200 countries and territories around the world under such internationally recognized brand names as Colgate, Palmolive, Mennen, Softsoap, Irish Spring, Protex, Sorriso, Kolynos, elmex, Tom's of Maine, Sanex, Ajax, Axion, Soupline, and Suavitel, as well as Hill's Science Diet and Hill's Prescription Diet. For more information about Colgate's global business, visit the Company's website at www.colgatepalmolive.com. To learn more about Colgate's Bright Smiles, Bright Futures®, Colgate’s flagship global oral health education program, please visit www.colgatebsbf.com.