Submitted by: Carbonfund.org
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 – 05:25 PM EST
ZEELAND, MI - April 16, 2007 – Industrial Woodworking Corporation (IWC) announced today that it has offset 100% of its carbon emissions with Carbonfund.org, the country's leading carbon reduction and offset organization, through their CarbonFree™ business program. IWC has offset 100% of its emissions from electrical and natural gas use, management's air travel and corporate vehicles. This step highlights IWC's commitment to be a green leader in West Michigan's furniture manufacturing community.
Considering the implications of climate change and the alarming evidence that is currently being presented from the scientific community, IWC sees carbon offsets as a business necessity and a natural extension of its mission.
The move also positions IWC's new online, contemporary home office furniture sales company, Knú, as an entirely green and sustainable venture. Knú launches its website in September 2007.
"It is simply unconscionable not to do this," said Brad Davis, CEO of Industrial Woodworking. "It is blatantly obvious that climate change is here now. We must act both on an individual and a business level to lessen our impact on the Earth."
"IWC has been committed to environmental stewardship since we began in 1995,” Davis added. “We intend to lead by example, to show the furniture industry and our customers that a company can be very successful when it puts the environment first.”
"Carbonfund.org's message to individuals and businesses is, ‘Reduce what you can, offset what you can’t.’" said Eric Carlson, Executive Director of Carbonfund.org. “IWC is doing exactly this by utilizing the most energy efficient technologies available and offsetting the energy it does have to use by supporting renewable energy such as wind, solar, and geothermal. IWC is reducing the amount of energy it needs and helping to ensure the energy it does need comes from renewable sources.”
Carbonfund.org is a non-profit organization whose goal is to make carbon offsets and climate protection simple, affordable and a normal way of life for every individual and business. Carbon offsets empower individuals and businesses to reduce carbon dioxide emissions in one location, where it is cost effective, to offset the emissions they are responsible for in their normal activities, like home, office, driving or air travel emissions. By supporting renewable energy, energy efficiency, and reforestation projects Carbonfund.org offsets an equivalent amount of carbon offsets and is helping the development of clean, renewable domestic sources of energy.
Other Energy Saving Measures at IWC/Knú:
IWC's newest plant addition, which has added over 10,000 square feet to the existing facility, will be using F-Bay fluorescent lighting which uses 30% less energy than traditional metal halide lighting and maintains 89.1% foot candle output over the life of the bulbs which have a 20% longer lifespan. Metal Halide only achieves 70% efficiency.
Winter heating is handled by infra-red heaters which use 23% to 25.5% less fuel than conventional forced air heating methods.
IWC's Short Wave Infrared finishing ovens run on electricity, come up to temperature within 5 seconds and use light waves to cure finishes. Other furniture companies use gas fired ovens which can require up to an hour and a half to come up to temperature and then consume energy all day long maintaining that operating temperature.
Additional Information about IWC/Knú:
• IWC has been using sustainably harvested wood products exclusively for many years and only works with suppliers who have a demonstrated commitment to sustainable resources and low impact raw materials.
• Knú's proprietary hardware is made from 40% recycled steel and it is 100% recyclable. Our substrate is Forest Stewardship Council Certified Multi-ply Birch which is harvested and reforested using sustainable forestry practices. Our primary suppliers are FSC certified as well.
• All finishing is accomplished with HAPS compliant or waterborne finishes utilizing the lowest volatile organic compound emissions possible.
• Knú does not believe in the marketing of our products using catalogs, all product information will be available in a web only format. Not only does the creation of the catalogs destroy millions of trees annually, the delivery and disposal has an extremely negative effect on the environment.
• All Knú products will be shipped directly to the customer from the place of manufacture thereby greatly reducing the environmental footprint of logistics.
• IWC/Knú is dedicated to the principal "Reduce, Recycle, Reuse." Waste is reduced by mixing the minimum amount of materials needed for use that day, and by utilizing cut-to-size programs. We routinely salvage what would have been trash for use as raw material in other products. Nearly all of the packaging material from incoming shipments is recycled. From cardboard to skids to foam spacers, anything that can be recycled or reused is given a second life, and in some cases is used repeatedly.
Carbonfund.org is the country's leading carbon reduction and offset organization. Carbonfund.org educates the public about the dangers of climate change and makes it easy and affordable for individuals, businesses and organizations to reduce their climate impact. Carbonfund.org is reducing the threat of climate change by promoting cost-effective carbon reductions and supporting renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects globally that reduce and offset carbon dioxide emissions. Carbonfund.org works with over 100 corporate and non-profit partners including the National Wildlife Federation, Dell, IMD, Ovation Travel Group and Working Assets.
Brad Davis, CEO
Industrial Woodworking Corp.