WATERBURY, VERMONT. - January 12, 2009 - Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. (NASDAQ: GMCR) today released "Brewing A Better World," its corporate social responsibility (CSR) report outlining the Company's economic, environmental, and social performance for fiscal 2007.
"Our vision is for all businesses to be agents of positive change in the world," said Larry Blanford, President and CEO of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. "We believe that our financial success, even in the face of a difficult economic climate, goes hand in hand with our commitment to corporate social responsibility and our dedication to building productive relationships with all of our stakeholders. Producing this report helps us document our challenges and successes as we work to create a more sustainable future."
In "Brewing A Better World," GMCR reports that sales of Fair Trade Certified(TM) coffees represented over 27% of total coffee pounds shipped in fiscal 2007, up from 26.7% in fiscal 2006. Green Mountain Coffee continues to offer one of the broadest selections of double-certified, Fair Trade organic coffees in the country. Other highlights of the fiscal 2007 report include the following:
- Total outreach to local and coffee-growing communities grew to over $1.1 million through grantmaking, volunteerism, and product donations. Each year, GMCR donates at least 5% of pre-tax profits to social and environmental projects.
- GMCR contributed $50,000 to a new fund established to help coffee-growing communities recover from natural disasters.
- Over 31% of Green Mountain Coffee employees received paid time off to volunteer in local communities.
- GMCR cut its normalized solid waste stream by 11% by composting coffee chaff and other organic waste. The Company also installed a biodiesel fueling station for its Waterbury, VT fleet.
The report also highlights GMCR's goals for fiscal 2008, which include increasing the sourcing of sustainable coffees, reducing and mitigating its carbon footprint, further reducing energy use and waste, and improving social responsibility metrics. Initial highlights from fiscal 2008 include:
- The formation of a Social and Environmental Responsibility sub-committee, reporting directly to the Company's Board of Directors. This new sub-committee will support GMCR's management team in strengthening the alignment among the Company's strategic business objectives, social and environmental impact, and the value delivered to all stakeholders.
- An increase of more than 40% in the number of hours volunteered by employees in their local communities – a new record for GMCR.
- Recognition by the Clinton Global Initiative of GMCR's commitment to economic development and financial literacy in coffee-growing communities through a partnership with Root Capital.
The full details of the fiscal 2007 report can be found at www.BrewingaBetterWorld.com
. A summary printed report is also available there for download. Hard copies of the report can be obtained by emailing CSR_Report_Request@GMCR.com
. The complete fiscal 2008 report will be available in the spring of 2009.
About Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. (NASDAQ: GMCR) is recognized as a leader in the specialty coffee industry for its award-winning coffees, innovative brewing technology and socially and environmentally responsible business practices. GMCR manages its operations through two wholly owned business segments: Green Mountain Coffee and Keurig. Its Green Mountain Coffee segment sells more than 100 high-quality coffee selections, including Fair Trade Certified(TM) organic coffees, under the Green Mountain Coffee(R) and Newman's Own(R) Organics brands through its wholesale, direct mail and e-commerce operations (www.GreenMountainCoffee.com
). Green Mountain Coffee also produces its coffee as well as hot cocoa and tea in K-Cup(R) portion packs for Keurig(R) Single-Cup Brewers. Keurig, Incorporated is a pioneer and leading manufacturer of gourmet single-cup coffee brewing systems for offices, homes and hotel rooms. Keurig markets its patented brewers and K-Cups(R) through office distributors, retail and direct channels (www.Keurig.com
). K-Cups are produced by a variety of licensed roasters including Green Mountain Coffee. GMCR has been recognized repeatedly by CRO Magazine, Forbes
as a good corporate citizen and an innovative, high-growth company.