VBSR's 20th Annual Fall Conference
VBSR's 20th Annual Fall Conference, "Engagement: Moving Social Responsibility Forward", will begin with a morning plenary panel, "Coming Changes to the Healthcare System: What you need to know in 2013", moderated by Bram Kleppner, Co-Chair, Medicaid and Exchange Advisory Board, with panelists Kevin Goddard of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, Julie Lineberger, Green Mountain Advisory Board member, and Robin Lunge of the State of Vermont Agency of Administration. Don Mayer, CEO & Top Dog of Small Dog Electronics will deliver the afternoon keynote address.
This daylong statewide business conference features six workshops offering practical information and resources to help companies do better business. Participants will also network with other business people committed to the multiple bottom line of financial success combined with the well being of employees, the environment, and the community.
8:30-8:45 - OPENING REMARKS
- Andrea Cohen, Executive Director, VBSR
- Brian Dunkiel, Dunkiel Saunders Elliott Raubvogel & Hand; Chair of the Board, VBSR
8:45-10:00 - Coming Changes to the Healthcare System: What you need to know in 2013
- Get your questions answered! State (GreenMountain Care) and Federal (“Obamacare”) healthcare reform has left many wondering how the changes will affect their business and their employees. Understanding if, how, and when key decisions about health care benefits need to be made is critical for Vermont businesses. An expert panel provides the most current information available, identifies resources available to businesses, and answers your questions about transitioning to the Vermont Health Benefit Exchange marketplace. Not to be missed, particularly for businesses with fewer than 50 employees! Kevin Goddard, Vice President, External Affairs & Sales, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Julie Lineberger, Owner, LineSync Architecture, Committee Member, Green Mountain Advisory Board, Medicaid and Exchange Advisory Board Robin Lunge, Director, Health Care Reform, State of Vermont Agency of Administration Moderator: Bram Kleppner, CEO, Danforth Pewter, Co-Chair, Medicaid and Exchange Advisory Board
10:15-11:30 - CONCURRENT MORNING WORKSHOPS
- Workshop 1 - Ideas Worth Exploring:Green Energy, Agriculture and the Working Landscape Join a panel of entrepreneurs, innovative thinkers, and policy makers exploring new ways to develop green energy that benefits small to mid size farms while also preserving Vermont’s treasured working landscape and natural resources.
- Workshop 2 - Measuring What Matters: Vermont Initiatives to Measure Sustainable Well-Being Learn about four Vermont-based initiatives designed to track and improve Vermont’s well being. Panel members discuss the Gross Progress Indicator, Gross National Happiness Indicator, Results-Based Accountability, and the Vermont Data Collaborative.
- Workshop 3 - Workplace Design: Aligning Mission, Brand and Values Discover strategies and approaches to workplace design that enhance brand, embody mission, and facilitate organizational values. Case studies of National Life of Vermont, Brattleboro Coop, Casella, and others.
11:45-12:00 - VBSR Membership Annual Meeting
12:00-1:00 - NETWORKING LUNCH
1:15-2:15 - KEYNOTE ADDRESS Don Mayer - CEO & Top Dog, Small Dog Electronics
- Don Mayer founded Small Dog Electronics in 1994 with the goal of becoming a premier Apple Specialist, selling Apple Computers and products via the internet, with a vision of building a sustainable business upon socially responsible business practices. Today he serves as Chief Executive Officer for Small Dog Electronics, Inc., an organization that has grown to near 65 employees and three (soon to be four) retail stores, while continuing to build a strong web presence in sales of Apple Products and associated electronics.
2:30-3:45 - CONCURRENT AFTERNOON WORKSHOPS
- Workshop 4 - Emerging Trends: Creative Grassroots Financing for Entrepreneurs Crowdfunding, community supported enterprise, and other emerging, alternative forms of grassroots financing are highlighted by entrepreneurs and practitioners alike. Includes an up-to-date review of the JOBS Act and its implications for community based financing.
- Workshop 5 - VBSR Policy Update: Report from the Golden Dome Join key lawmakers and VBSR Policy Committee members for a preview of the 2013 Legislative session’s top issues, including proposals on clean energy, taxation, health care reform, and economic development.
- Workshop 6 - Community Collaboration: Establishing Smart Relationships Between Business, Arts and Culture Panelists representing the arts, media, and business describe collaborative models that create organizational value while also providing essential support to arts and culture endeavors across the state.
4:00-5:00 - LEGISLATOR-OF-THE-YEAR AWARD, CLOSING REMARKS Honorable Governor Shumlin (invited)