| join the conversation
World Oceans Day 2012: The Impact of Carbon
Changes in Earth’s atmosphere mean changes in Earth’s Oceansphere. The atmosphere touches the ocean on 70% of the Earth’s surface. Further:
- 25% of carbon emissions are absorbed by the sea.
- For 20 million years, sea water chemistry was stable.
- The burning of fossil fuels only began in the late 18th century. Throughout time, the fossils had remained buried.
- 21.3 billion tons of carbon dioxide are emitted every year, making our oceans acidic. Acid corrodes protective shells and bones of marine life.
- In coastal seas, the structure of reef systems has weakened. Yet, islands need reefs as buffers to waves and storm surge...and rising seas.
Take a look:
View more presentations from CSRwire
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by CSRwire contributors do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of CSRwire.